Symptoms of food poisoning in dogs

One of the most common problems that are faced by veterinarians is food poisoning in dogs usually produced because your pet has ingested food spoiled or contaminated.

Sometimes the urge to eat some dogs leads them to get to the mouth of the most colorful things without being aware that they can make you sick or even kill them. Sometimes, these foods get them during their walks but also come to the clinic’s dogs poisoned by foods that have been given at home as leftovers or products in doubtful condition.

Common symptoms of food poisoning in dogs

Early detection your dog suffers food poisoning is vital to take the necessary measures to help, so we must pay attention to these signs and go to the vet to take appropriate measures:

  • Diarrhea: is the most common sign and, although not always dangerous, indicates that something is happening in the digestive tract of the animal, and that surely caused him unfit for food or some bacteria.
  • Vomiting: the dog often vomits more disturbing than when you have diarrhea, although in both cases, you must go to the vet if you repeatedly do.
  • Drooling more abundant: drooling is one of those details that veterinarians much fixed, and that can be a very important clue to detect health problems, among which is food poisoning in dogs.
  • Incoordination when walking: if you notice that your dog is sick and does not walk as he always does, you may be suffering the causes of food poisoning.
  • Lethargy: If you see your slumbering dog, you may also be motivated by poisoning; also, often, they appear disoriented.
  • Tremor: one of the most common symptoms of food poisoning in dogs is the uncontrolled shaking, something you have to go immediately to the vet to avoid greater evils.
  • Fever: poisoning with fever usually appears, indicating that something is wrong.
  • Abdominal pain: If any notes or more of these conditions, and in the abdominal area, touching the dog whimpers of pain, it is very likely that the animal is poisoned by some spoiled food.

As you can see, the symptoms can be very varied and, depending on the type of poison. It will affect one way or another. The important thing is not to take up the situation and act when we see our dogs with problems since it is most likely that the problem will worsen if we do not act in time.

In addition, you have these symptoms ensure that we have a poisoning, so we should go to the vet to perform the necessary tests to rule out other possible diseases.

How to prevent it?

The two most common situations where dogs are poisoned are rummaging in the garbage or eating something found on the street, but also to give them foods that are not good for them.

The first is very easy to prevent and, with that garbage is not available to the animal, this will not rummage through leftovers filled with bacteria and shabby. To avoid the second case, pending the animal must go on daily walks and prevent wear anything in their mouths, because the strong odors of spoiled food attract them and do not think twice before eating.

Moreover, many foods in our daily lives are toxic to dogs, such as garlic, onions, coffee, grapes … There are plenty of foods that our pets can not tolerate, and if ingested in excess, it can lead to serious poisoning, so we must be careful what we give and avoid in any case the foods high in salt or raw. The latter may contain Salmonella or E. coli.

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *